When we got the news, instead of having a panicked meltdown, the first thoughts that flooded my brain we ones of thankfulness (again, only through God's provision). The more I think about it, the more astounded I am at the many ways that God in His goodness has been preparing us for this. Here are just a few examples:
- Devin was pretty unhappy at his job and we had been praying that there would be an opportunity to leave and find something else soon. Not exactly what I had in mind, but the prayer was answered in a way that will catalyst Devin into finding another job soon (hopefully one he likes better). (I do feel terrible for the owners of the shop though - a very sweet retired couple who got dealt some stinky circumstances outside of their control.)
- We have been living well below our means financial the past few months and have a good amount of margin to live by. The only thing that will "suffer" is the amount we can put into savings each month. But other than that, our life will pretty much stay the same.
- In the last year, my brother-in-law and my best friend's husband have lost their jobs. I obviously wish this wouldn't have happened to them, but it is a small comfort to have my sister-in-law and my best friend able to relate and give counsel on how to respond in a godly way.
- The morning after we found out, I was doing my devotions and picked up where I left off reading the day before. Wouldn't you know it, the section of scripture I was on was Jesus' sermon about not worrying because God will provide (Luke 12:22-34). Wow!
- When I went to work the very next next day, we all found out that our health insurance costs where going down.
- For the past month or so, I have been reading The Excellent Wife and learning a lot about supporting my husband and aligning my attitudes and behaviors in a way that honors God's design for a wife. I really think that this time of growth has prepared my heart to be a better wife to Devin during this transition. God's timing is so perfect!
- This is an opportunity for me to follow Devin's leadership as he follows God - wherever He takes us.
God is so good. In the great times, the terrible times and the less-than-comfortable times.