Thursday, August 19, 2010

In My Own Little World

I had an ugly day today and it's only 8:30am. Ugh. Nothing like listing your struggles and the ways you are trying to overcome them only to be smacked in the face with your stinky attitude the very next morning. I was both resentful and selfish today. "Hello Humility, I'm Jen... I think you and I will be forced to spend a lot of time together in the near future."

Anyway.

Come September, I'll be joining the Radical Read-Along over at Marla's blog. A whole bunch of us from all over the place will be reading this book together and having an on-line book group/discussion. If you are ready for your comfy little world to be ripped in two (or three, or four...) by the Gospel, then I hope you'll join us! Even if you don't think you're ready or this sounds scary to you, I still hope you'll join us, because I don't feel ready either. I feel nervous too, but I am becoming increasingly uncomfortable with my own comfort and  I know it's time for a revamp.

I heard a new song by Matthew West and thought it expressed perfectly some of the things I've been thinking and feeling lately and the things most of us joining the book group are struggling with. (You can listen to the song here.)

My Own Little World

by Matthew West

In my own little world it hardly ever rains
I’ve never gone hungry, always felt safe
I got some money in my pocket, shoes on my feet
In my own little world
Population me

I try to stay awake through the Sunday morning church
I throw a twenty in the plate but I never give ’til it hurts
I turn off the news when I don’t like what I see
It’s easy to do when it’s
Population me

What if there’s a bigger picture
What if I’m missing out
What if there’s a greater purpose
I could be living right now
Outside my own little world

Stopped at the red light, looked out my window
Saw a cardboard sign said “Help this homeless widow”
Just above this sign was the face of a human
I thought to myself, “God, what have I been doing?”
So I rolled down my window and I looked her in the eye
Oh how many times have I just passed her by
I gave her some money then I drove on through
and my own little world reached
Population two

What if there’s a bigger picture
What if I’m missing out
What if there’s a greater purpose
I could be living right now
Outside my own little world

Father, break my heart for what breaks Yours
Give me open hands and open doors
Put Your light in my eyes and let me see
That my own little world is not about me

What if there’s a bigger picture
What if I’m missing out
What if there’s a greater purpose
I could be living right now

I don't want to miss what matters
I want to be reaching out
Show me the greater purpose
So I can start living right now
Outside my own little world

5 comments:

  1. Im halfway through it. It is soooooo good! I might join the read along. Im a big fan of this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so weird, I was going to post this song on my blog, TODAY!!! love this song so much.
    Hang in there....we have had lots of "ugly" days around here, ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those lyrics are great and go right along with Radical! Sarah, we'd LOVE to have you join us!

    And hey, if anyone wants to read the book but can't afford to buy it, a very generous woman contacted me and wants to "sponsor" some books. You'll get it in plenty of time for our September 7 kick-off, and all you have to do is promise to do something nice for someone else some day. :) Actually, there aren't ANY strings attached. We'd LOVE to have you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great song! Posted the words on my FB. Good reminder to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So get this. I was at Worcesters testing our Skype and I opened up your blog. I was reading the lyrics to the song to myself and Kim, not seeing the lyrics, asks me to sing at a fundraiser for House of James orphanage. And she says, "I can't think of a song that would fit."
    I read the lyrics to her. Fit.

    ReplyDelete

Got some Notions of your own about this post? Share them!