Thursday, May 13, 2010

Becoming an Antique[r]

I have many childhood memories of being dragged by my parents through endless antique stores and being surrounded by things I couldn't touch and toys I couldn't play with even if I found them remotely interesting (which I did not). However, I have long-since grown out of that aversion to antiques and would love nothing more than to have my home covered in them. This weekend was, however, the first time I have gone antiquing on my own free will.

Devin and I were in the quaint little town of Prescott, AZ for my friend Susanne's wedding and decided to make an over-night weekend out of the trip. We spent hours on Sunday hunting through the many antique stores lining the streets of downtown Prescott.

Our goal was to find something we could bring back as a "souvenir" while only spending $5.00. But, alas, we failed.

Sincerely, we tried to find something we could proudly purchase for only $5.00, but discovered the selection was sadly lacking. We did find plenty of items we loved - antique shutters for $25.00 each that would have looked beautiful hanging in our living room and a blanket chest/bench exactly like what I've been search for marked at $275.00. Naturally, not having $300+ dollars to toss away on a few decorative items, we passed up these purchases. That is one thing I really miss about living back East. Supply-and-Demand works in favor of the antiquer there. Way out west, it is very difficult to find a good deal on antiques - there just aren't that many of them to be found outside of the over-priced antique stores.

Regardless, we had fun, as you can see:

(This next one is for you Marla - if it hadn't cost $15, I would have bought it for you. It was almost too funny to pass up. The pink one next to it ain't bad either.)
(Cow-hide toilet seat)

3 comments:

  1. A cornflower blue copy of The Sensuous Woman!! Are you kidding me?!?! ;)

    I looooooooooooooove antiques. Just yesterday as I drove through our quaint little town on my way from one soccer game to another, I thought, "I've lived here for 4 years now and have never been in any of these antique stores."

    There's a reason though, and it's because we don't have the extra money. It's hard to see all those treasures and not be able to buy any. I still find ways to get old stuff (thrift store, Grandma...).

    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post too! I also love antique stores, and I also don't have the money to buy stuff there. Although, you're right that stuff is cheaper out here- at least it is if you know where to look.

    I stick to yard sales myself!

    Too bad you didn't buy that toilet seat! What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Im gonna give an opposite opninion here. I hate antiques. (most of them anyway) it is other people's used stuff. You are just paying a fortune for something that has already been used to death and pretty worn out. Plus, I dont like the looks of most antiques...Im just sayin. My mom has a bunch and I am not a fan. You however, decorate well and Im sure they will look great in your house. :) and thats my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Got some Notions of your own about this post? Share them!