Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Goal #47 COMPLETE: 1.21 Gigawatts of Fun

More progress on my Project 101 in 1001 list. Read about my journey here. 

Goal #47 - Have a "Back to the Future" party with friends and watch all three movies in one day. COMPLETE 


I've always been a big fan of these movies, but I've never watched them consecutively and I thought this would be an entertaining goal to complete with a few friends. (On a list of 101 goals, I've got to give myself a few that are 100% frivolous and fun.) We had a great time watching these classic (and still very funny) films while enjoying pizza, popcorn, brownies, donuts and - Great Scott! - home-brewed beer made by our friend Martin. 


Obviously I didn't have any, but I hear Martin's blueberry wheat beer was quite tasty and I think it's pretty cool that I have a backyard moonshiner as a friend. 




Baby Matty wanted in on the beer-fest too, or maybe he was just thrown off by the bottle shape. (No worries, he didn't get any booze - I promise.)


We all had a good laugh watching the "future" scenes (set in 2015) and comparing the film's portrayal of future technology, clothing, etc. with the realities of today (or the today of four years from now). I found this amusing article that outlines the things that have and haven't come true from the movie.

Thanks to Martin, Susanne, Ben, Jamie and Matty for joining us in all the paradoxical, time-traveling fun! It was such a nice break from our crazy lives - thanks for giving us a reason to relax for a whole day!

And thank you Michael J. Fox, Christiphor Loyd, Crispin Glover and Thomas F. Wilson for creating so many memorable, versatile characters for us to enjoy! (17 different characters or variations of characters were portrayed by just these four actors.)

(Side note: Devin and I were so grateful to spend time with Ben and Jamie and their little boy Matty. Ben and Jamie live their parenthood with such joy and are incredibly positive when it comes to advice, stories and experiences about being parents. It has been a bit discouraging (for me anyways - Devin tends to be able to let stuff roll off his back pretty well) to try and joyfully prepare for this new life stage in a world that is full of such negativity towards children/parenthood. Not to mention (except I'm gonna) feeling a bit bombarded with horror stories of the new baby stage. It is such an encouragement to Devin and I to have such an example of parental enthusiasm as we prepare to embark on our own journey as new parents.)

Jamie and Matty

2 comments:

  1. New babies are so WONDERFUL! No twins, so that may be a whole other story, but I've been blessed to enjoy it 6 times: 2 after labor, 1 after C-section, and 3 after Child Protective Services delivered the new bundles to us. Nursing, formula and bottles, 11lbs down to 5 lbs--all exciting and precious!!!

    So sorry that phase is over for us...I turn 42 this week and can't wait for grandbabies :) (NOT pushing my 19yo, altho she's eager to have newborns in arms again too!)

    Have not seen all the Back to Future movies....guess we need to make that a goal before 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frodo's in Part 2! Who knew.

    ReplyDelete

Got some Notions of your own about this post? Share them!