Tuesday, April 12, 2011

This Was NOT Part of the Plan...

... But I'm oh-so-glad God had a different one.

In case you didn't notice, "Have a baby" was not on my list of 101 goals to complete in 1001 days. In fact, my plan was to complete those 101 goals and then start a family. Kinda of last "hurrah" before the all-consuming role of motherhood took over my life. Don't get me wrong - I've always wanted to be a mom. I've looked forward to that role for a long time. There were just a few things I wanted to do before that blessed day arrived. (Not all in a selfish way either. For example: I had goals on the list that were geared towards getting to a position where I could work from home so that I could start having babies.)

Well. As you must know by now, I am unexpectedly expecting twins. Which I am completely thrilled about. However, I can't help but laugh when I look back at all of the "plans" I had in regards to starting a family that have been completely and ironically thwarted by reality. Proverbs 16:9 keeps coming to my mind, “In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." That and the expression, "Pride comes before the fall." 

Here are just a few of the plans that I was determined (if not flat our prideful) about, and the ironic results:

1) We were using the Fertility Awareness Method of birth control. I was meticulous with my charting and knew exactly when I could and could not get pregnant during my cycle. I was confident in this method (I still am) and had been successful with it for ten cycles, yet one misread temperature, two released eggs and one comment of, “Yeah, I’m pretty sure we’re good,” led to getting pregnant on the plan I thought I was capable of controlling.

2) When people would ask when Devin and I would be starting a family, I would firmly respond, “The soonest we’d even consider, possibly trying would be the summer of 2011”... I got pregnant January 2011: five month earlier than my declaration allowed for.

3) I wanted to time my pregnancy to make sure that I was not going to be gigantic during the hottest part of the Arizona summer... I will be in my third trimester during the hottest part of the Arizona summer (July-September). We're talking 120 degrees, people.

4) Devin and I said over and over again, “As long as we don’t get pregnant before we go to Africa, we’ll be fine.” ... I was ten and eleven weeks of pregnant when in Africa.

5) I said, “I don’t want to get pregnant until Devin has as steady job.”... Devin is still without a job (though working very hard to find something.)*

6) When we found out we were pregnant, we said, “Okay, we can handle this. We’ll make it work. Let’s just hope we don’t have twins. Har. Har.”... We are pregnant with twins.

We also figure, based on the time of conception and the Hanson’s reputation for producing strictly males, the twins will likely be boys. Time will tell if we’re wrong on that account as well.

It's crazy how caught up I can get in "my" plans and yet the Lord says, "I know the plans I have for you," (Jeremiah  29:11). Every day that these twins grow inside my belly is another day I'm thankful God didn't let my plans get in the way of His.

Anyone else out there made plans that had ironically opposite results?


*Since writing this post, Devin snagged a part-time job at our favorite coffee house Sozo Coffee! (We're still hoping the number of hours will increase soon.) The coolest thing? Devin's unemployment benefits ran out this week and what he'll be making at SoZo is almost the same amount as his unemployment check. God provides!!!

6 comments:

  1. Totally understand the "Yeah, I’m pretty sure we’re good" statement. That's how we ended up with a third. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your prediction on the boys too. We guessed girl for this one, based on timing as well, and we're getting a girl. We also guessed boys for the first two, based on timing and we got boys. You're probably right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a lot of people who have used the fertility awareness method of birth control. I believe every single one of them has had an "oops" pregnancy. Haha.

    Praise God for Devin's new job! That's awesome!

    If I lived near you, I would devote all my time to holding a fan in front of your face and making you tons of frozen fruit smoothies during your whole third trimester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made plans, but they were the opposite of yours! We used the Fertility Awareness Method to GET pregnant (charting, taking my temperature, etc.) and it took us 19 months! That was one of the lowest, most difficult times of my life (definitely the longest-lasting). But God's plan was better! We were able to buy a house, fix it up, and move in 2 months before Isabelle was born! Stew was also VERY VERY sick with his Crohn's Disease for several months and if we would have gotten pregnant during the first 7 or so months we started trying, I would have been taking care of a newborn and a bedridden husband! Also, God taught me that HE is in control, HE opens and closes wombs, and HIS timing is perfect. I am so thankful He is the one calling the shots, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very exciting, Jen!! I am so thrilled for you both, and Yay for Devin's job!!
    We found out we were pregnant with Ryann the day we returned from Guatemala July 2006...so I was about 6 weeks pregnant in Guatemala:) This was quite the suprise and much earlier than I thought and "planned":):) Love that the Lord has a plan for all of us, and His plan is so much greater and bigger than what we can imagine...good stuff, cannot wait to watch this growing Hanson family:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So exciting! It's awesome how God often laughs at our "plans" and blesses us with things that we never could have imagined ourselves! SO SO SO excited for you all! Will keep praying for you and the beautiful babies inside you!

    ReplyDelete

Got some Notions of your own about this post? Share them!