Tuesday, January 25, 2011

When Things Don't Work Out Quite the Way You Planned

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." 
- Proverbs 19:21


Have I mentioned a time or two (plus twelve) that I don't do well with change? Especially unexpected change? Have I mentioned I'm a perfectionist? A planner and a doer and a Type-A(er)? Yep. Pretty sure I bring that up way too often.

Have I mentioned that I've been trying to learn to let my natural instincts of panic be replaced by a Proverbs 3:5-6 kind of trust? (Actually, I don't think I have mentioned that I've been working on that - so here's me mentioning it.)

WELL. 

We found out a few days ago that the dates for our Uganda trip had been changed (for a whole bunch of complicated reasons out of my control and understanding). My first thoughts were ones of panic and frustration. Followed by a whole list of things this would complicate - a week less to raise our support, having to back out on a special event/fundraiser, having to re-working our visit with our Compassion children, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

It didn't take me long (okay that's a lie - it took my about two days, which was way too long) to realize that, guess what? This trip wasn't about me. Which I knew of course, but this turn of events proved that while I knew it, I wasn't entirely focused on that fact. My attitude and reaction was totally off base. 

Seriously - get a grip and get over it.

Is this change of dates inconvenient? Sure. 
Am I sad that a number of our awesome team members aren't able to come anymore? Yes.
But do I still get to go to Uganda and love on some orphans? Why as a matter-of-fact I do.   
Does God still have just as big of a plan and purpose for this trip? Of course He does.

So, I'm moving on, trusting God and letting go. And it feels good.

The new dates for our Uganda trip are March 11th-23rd. Please keep us in your prayers (I'll be posting information about our itinerary as soon as I get the updated one.)

"He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD."   - Psalm 112:7

2 comments:

  1. Oh its coming up so soon! Admitting that your focus was on yourself and your attitude was off base - just truly shows how much growing in God you've done over the course of this journey to your trip. What a wonderful witness of faith to see all you've learned, an inspiration really. Thank you for this reminder of our plans vs. God's grand beautiful plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Did I ever tell you that I got my cross and I LOVE IT MORE THAN I CAN SAY?!?!

    2. We went to see the Watoto Children's Choir last night and got to hang out with 6 beautiful Ugandans at Gabe's parents' house for a couple hours. It. Was. Awesome.

    3. So bummed about your teammates that can't go. :( But I know God can TOTALLY handle all the new arrangements.

    4. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Got some Notions of your own about this post? Share them!